James Donaldson, former NBA player and former business owner of 28 years, spoke with Equality for Boys and Men on June 1, 2021. James was an open book, and his responses demonstrated his wisdom, honesty, and compassion for all people.
Here are the questions we asked James:
- Why are men reluctant to ask for help when they’re feeling down?
- What does it take to get through to men that it’s ok to seek out help?
- Where can boys and young men turn for guidance into manhood?
- What is special about male friendships?
- What is masculinity, and do you consider yourself masculine?
- What should Seattle do about homelessness and policing?
- Why does the gender disparity aspect of homelessness receive little attention?
- Why have African-Americans historically had lower rates of suicide?
- Isn’t it tragic that some of the methods we contemplate for suicide involve directly victimizing a second person? What is “suicide by cop”?
- What will make a real difference in closing the achievement gap for Black boys?
- How is your campaign for mayor going at this point?
- If elected, would you try to bring back the Sonics?